One of the goals for Candy 4WAY Phonics is to make certain that today’s Parents and Teachers have what it takes to get phonemic awareness systematic phonics skills into our children as early as possible.
Phonemic awareness is an ability children develop that enables them to recognize individual sounds inside words by using both their ears and their eyes. It’s the ability to hear, identify and manipulate the individual sounds (phonemes) in spoken words.
Phonological awareness begins to develop during the preschool years. Unless children are given help from parents, teachers or other adults , those children with lower levels of phonological awareness will continue to be delayed in this skill from the late preschool period forward.
Researchers have found that phonemic awareness and letter sound knowledge (not the names of the letters but the sounds that the letters stand for), are very clear-cut school entry predictors of how well children will learn to read during their first two years of reading instruction (Share, Jorm, Matthews & Maclean).
Moreover, the necessity to gain subsequent left/right letter-sound blending skills can only follow after a child has a strong handle on Phonemic Awareness.
QUESTION: Could you repeat in layman’s terms exactly why phonemic awareness and early systematic phonics preschool training are so helpful for 3 and 4 year old children?
ANSWER: Many times, 1st through 4th grade children have difficulty with phonics instruction because they did not develop early phonemic awareness skills and subsequent letter sound blending skills during their preschool or kindergarten years.
For example, did you know that approximately 62% of the English language is made up of short-vowel words and syllables? So learning to fluently sound out three-letter, short-vowel words (CVC words) gives children an immediate head start in reading!
Yet, so very many children start out first grade attempting to read three-letter words (CVC Words) but fail miserably because:
1) They don’t know where to begin reading a word.
2) They cannot distinguish between the vowel sounds.
3) They cannot distinguish between the three individual sounds in the word.
4) They have not been given enough exposure and practice mastering letter sounds, learning to blend two-letter sounds, and learning to blend three-letter words.
As a result, these children are given failing grades in reading early on.
Many of these children develop self-image problems that mostly likely would not have occurred if only they had received ALL THE BUILDING BLOCKS to systematic phonetic reading.
QUESTION: So what is included in the Candy 4WAY Phonics Preschool Systematic Phonics Package for 3 and 4 year old children?
ANSWER: Candy’s 4WAY Phonics Preschool Systematic Phonics Package for 3 and 4 year old children includes all of the following for just $7.97:
1) Candy’s 31 Multisensory LARGE A to Z Flashcards/Wall Cards (with multisensory vowel helps)
2) Candy’s 82-page eBook: How to Teach Candy’s Systematic 4WAY Phonics
3) How to Follow Candy’s 4WAY Phonics Preschool Program
4) Multisensory Vowel Helps to teach preschoolers to distinguish between the vowel sounds
5) Rhyming Alphabet Phonics Charts that carry a child right up to the Daily Preschool 4WAY Phonics Lessons
6) 25 Step-by-step Daily 4WAY Phonics Preschool Lessons – Click here to see samples of our Preschool Step-bystep Daily Phonics Lessons.
7) Sequenced Preschool Lesson Drill Sheets to provide continuous review
8) A Preschooler’s First Reader
9) Farmer Dan’s Critters Games are included with the Preschool Package (these two games lead children through 3-letter, short vowel words and are also sold separately)
10) Achievement Awards Certificates
After completing the Candy 4WAY Phonics Preschool Package, preschool children will be “way ahead of the game.”
Having gained the skills to sound out 3-letter, short vowel words, preschoolers will be ready to begin the SECOND level of the Candy 4WAY Phonics Program that will take them all the way through 4th grade and higher reading level.
Carol Kay, President